Sunday, January 14, 2007

A Reflection for Writers

In my morning devotions this week I looked up a Bible verse I had underlined three years ago when I was looking for an answer to my question about whether I should keep writing. But instead of rereading this verse (Habakkuk 2:2) as I had planned, I was drawn to another passage in Habakkuk 3:18: Yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! (NLT)

To me the words say: no matter what comes my way this year, what hardships, what joy, whether I meet my goals as a writer, whether I have a book or article published or not, I have been given a reason to be happy. I will rejoice, not in the sad things that may happen, not in the things that come my way to cause me concern but I will rejoice in the Lord!

There may be many twists in the road ahead but I will follow God’s leading. I will join with the writer of this verse and rejoice in the Lord. I will be joyful because I know the God of my salvation!

This verse is followed by a wonderful promise of God’s provision for all of us who are on a journey of faith. It reads: The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He will make me as surefooted as a deer and bring me safely over the mountains! (Habakkuk 3:19 NLT) Not just any Lord but the Sovereign Lord is going to be our strength every day of this year! While we wait on the Lord’s answer telling us what we are to do next, we are invited to rest in the promise. He will bring us safely over the mountains.

Elaine Ingalls Hogg

No comments:

Popular Posts