Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Disappearing Posts

Somewhere in cyberspace, there is a post floating around. The only problem is, I cannot find it. Set up last night as a draft, then accessed this morning -- the "Publish" button must have thought it was not worth cluttering up this space. Hard on my pride, but perhaps not so far wrong.

It is a strange thing, this compulsion to write -- with the vague hope that somebody might actually care enough to read it. It is even more strange typing without a word-processing program (this is not my own computer and lacks the tools I take for granted). I can't spell-check and don't even have a dictionary close. How do people function without dictionaries? The spell-check feature is a handy tool, but only a tool. A dictionary is almost like another limb. I feel handicapped without it.

I'm always struck by the wonder of creating with words. Poetry feeds some deep soul-hunger in me -- whether I am reading or writing it. I also delight in a wide range of prose. Working in a Bible Book Store, serving as Church Librarian, and trying to convince my wife that a new bookshelf is the best way to redecorate any room -- gives a hint of my love for reading. I want 48 hours a day for reading -- then as much again for writing. And of course, I want to be a model husband, father and grandfather at the same time.

I confess a sense of awe toward the mothers of young families who still carve out writing time. As a grampa with an empty nest, it seems to take a lot of self-discipline to find the time I crave. Yet what a priviledge.

The first two chapters of Genesis contain words that have always fascinated me. Repeated over and over we read: "God said . . . And it was so." Made in the image of God, there is a creative power in our words. What an awsome reality that is -- and what a responsibility. That said, I'm almost afraid to post this -- but -- there are other words in the Bible that fascinate me. In Paul's writings we read: "His strength is made perfect in our weaknesses." Since I qualify so well under those guidelines, and yet have been given gifts as well, I'll risk once more sharing the ramblings of my mind -- while trying to reign in those ramblings a bit and not run in too many directions at once.

What a wonder the writing life is. Frustrating at times, but if it is your calling, the BEST life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brian, check this out:

http://www2.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=6213977381458736343

:)

Popular Posts