Friday, February 22, 2008

Situations That Challenge - Lawrence

Marianne Williamson, in her book, The Gift of Change, says that whatever situation we find ourselves in presents us with a lesson that shows us our next step forward. When I ended up in the hospital on my 70th birthday, I have to admit that I had to search deep within me to find the lesson God was asking me to learn.

Being presented with sudden blindness in one eye because my blood thinners caused me to bleed into that eye was difficult to handle. A further difficulty presented itself in that because I had to cut down on my blood thinners to prevent bleeding there was a possibility that I could have a stroke. I had plenty of time to think and pray back then, in November, as I couldn’t read or do crossword puzzles and I was tied to my bed by an intravenous so I couldn’t do much walking about or visiting others.

Writing is important to me and, I believe, it is God’s calling for me, I had to look hard to see what God was asking of me. Was God asking me to give up writing as a sacrifice to the Divine glory? I could do it if I had to but I think that God would ask me this only if there was something else to take its place. During the eight days of being in the hospital I did not come to any conclusion of God’s next assignment for me but I kept searching and hoped God would make it clear to me in due time. Of course, patience is always a lesson I can learn more about so that’s what I have concentrated on.

As the weeks have gone by my eye sight is improving and my blood results are stabilising. Practically, I have learned that I can read the computer screen if I make the font larger; and that I can read and do crossword puzzles if I have a good light. Because I can do these things, I realise that I can also continue to write. I have a lot of writing stored in my computer files and, over the last few days I have begun to look at what I have and to see whether I can expand on it and make it into another book of meditations.

Before my loss of vision, my writing had grown stale and I was perhaps even a little bored with it all. When I was faced with the loss of writing I became more aware of its value to me and others. This event woke me up to the gifts God has given me; and brought me to realise that there is a lot yet to be done for God’s glory. Thank you, God, for the opportunity to grow in wisdom, grace, and patience; and to discover the gift in change.

Judith Lawrence
www.judithlawrence.ca

Author of Glorious Autumn Days: Meditations for the Wisdom Years and Grapes from the Vine: Book of Mystical Poetry available at http://www.lulu.com/

2 comments:

Linda Wegner said...

What a powerful reminder of God's working in our lives. Just this morning I read about the "glory of our trials." You have discovered that - thanks for sharing it.

Linda

Kimberley Payne said...

Judith,

It's wonderful to read that your eyesight is returning! Praise God. And isn't it funny that the old saying, "You don't know what you have until it's gone" holds true for our gifts as well.
Kimberley Payne
www.kimberleypayne.com

Popular Posts