Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Nature Inspired Poetry – Lawrence



I am so blessed to be surrounded by nature; flora and fauna, wild flowers and wild life abound in my backyard; bird song fills the air.

In the spring time it is always exciting to hear and identify the first bird of each species to arrive from southern climes or the first of each wild flower to bloom. When we see the first trillium in bloom we know that the black flies won’t be too far behind—not a pleasant thought for us humans but so necessary for the birds’ nourishment.

We are still officially in the season of spring and new events are happening each day. On Sunday, June 8th, I heard the Swainson’s thrush one of the four visiting birds that produce flute-like songs. The other three are the hermit thrush, the wood thrush and the Veery. It is a privilege to host these birds each summer and when I hear their lauds and vespers I join my voice with theirs to praise and glorify the Creator.

When I saw a deer come to eat seeds from the bird feeder in our garden I was filled with joy and thanksgiving. I uttered the psalm verse: As the deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1 NRSV. I imagine it was the sight of a deer that moved the psalmist to write that psalm in the first place. As many poets can attest, sights in nature often produce poems that speak of God’s goodness and love, as well as our longing to feel God’s presence.

As writers, it is our privilege to see and interpret what God reveals to us; and as poets, it is our joy to see and interpret God’s special gift of nature when it is revealed to us.

© Judith Lawrence

Author of Glorious Autumn Days: Meditations for the Wisdom Years; and Grapes From The Vine, Book of Mystical Poetry. Both available at www.lulu.com

Author of Prayer Companion: A Treasury of Personal Meditation, available at Chapters and www.pathbooks.com

Web Site: www.judithlawrence.ca


No comments:

Popular Posts