Wednesday, January 28, 2009

FATHER KNOWS BEST - Scott

One of the misconceptions that I encounter most often is the belief that God gives us rules solely for our inconvenience.
“Why can't I be like the folks on that renovations show who unfailingly use theological language in a non-theological sense when they see their new home?”

“Why are you always telling me I should find a Bible-believing church?”

“Why can't I just live with the guy? We love one another and are committed.”

The response, ''It's for your own good,” rarely receives a warm reception.

Taking the Lord's name in vain is wrong because He is God and, as such, any use of His name other than for praise or intercession is blasphemy.

Personally, I'd get a little upset if every time someone was surprised, upset, or amazed, they called out “Oh my Bob!” After a while, I think I'd quit answering. People would then be using my name in vain.

When we call on God, he intends to answer.

We are admonished not to give up meeting together as the faithful fellowship of believers because without that kind of support, we will not long survive the challenges of the life we live.
If Sunday worship is a chore, don't quit. Find a congregation where you are fed. Ask for God's guidance. I praise God for the place to which he has led us.

I'm in church three times a week, now. And I'm not even the pastor.

We live in a different world now than the one I lived in as a teenager. Declining respect for God; a move away from regular attendance at a believing church; these and more have led many losing sight of the plan God has for his world.
Some of the younger folk I counsel, and some older ones too, have lost sight of the fact that God gives direction for the welfare of his people.
And so, I have to advise young men who are not prepared for the responsibilities of parenthood brought on by disrespect for God's plan for sex and marriage.

I am asked what to do about the live-in boyfriend who wants to go out to watch TV at some other young woman's apartment--every week.

God says, in effect, ''You will avoid a lot of trouble in your earthly life if you follow these rules”
Even the Ten Commandments become affirmations if we see God's way as a prescription rather than a restriction.

Try it. (I’m using Eugene Peterson’s “The Message” for some of the text that follows.) God can give the assurance that, from this day forward, you can be assured of the following:

No other gods, only me. (Exodus 20:3)
You’ll know exactly what he is like. No more gods in your own image.

No using the name of GOD, your God, in curses or silly banter; GOD won't put up with the irreverent use of his name. (Ex. 20:7)
Reverence for God brings his approval.

You will joyously, Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. (Ex. 20:8)
Nothing can tear you away from Spirit-led worship and good teaching.

Work six days and do everything you need to do. But the seventh day is a Sabbath to GOD, your God. (Ex. 20: 9, 10)
Not everyone sees it this way, but God promises to take care of that seventh day. Your business will survive and you will be energized for the work to come.

No murder. No adultery. No stealing. No lies about your neighbor. No lusting after your neighbor's house--or wife… (Ex. 20:13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
No! I’m not suggesting you are guilty of these things. They all come back to a selfish attitude. God says we can set our minds on good things, if He is the one who is in control. Jesus said that wrong thinking was just as bad as the act. (Matt. 5:21, 28)
God’s instruction is not given to take away your joy. The loving Father is giving, to all of us, the tools to live a life filled with joy.

If God is your co-pilot, switch seats. Give him full control.



Robert Scott is a pastor and the author of ADVERTISING MURDER, LOST YOUTH and MURDER EXPRESS, titles in the Jack Elton Mystery series, Published by AVALON Books, New York

Popular Posts