Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Ordinary Lessons in Life - Mann

An old adage states that a husband and wife can't wall paper a room together, or a husband can't teach his wife how to drive, with ease. Well, what about tending the garden together? Last week, my husband decided to tidy up my flowerbed. Earlier, I had asked him to use his weed-eater on a certain weed that had taken over a fence bottom. Therefore, when he saw this same weed in the flowerbed, he decided to cut it down at the root, and then to continue on his way. Now I agree, weeds are not welcome in every body's flowerbed, but I don’t mind some, especially those with strong, almost wire-like stalks. I like a few select weeds, especially if they add a splash of colour with a decent flower.

During this gesture of goodwill, I look out the kitchen window and immediately see three large gaps in my solid 60 ft flowerbed and gasp aloud. “What happened?” I walk outside and logically see what he has done, and at the same time, I watch my tall, gangly purple Flocks gradually begin to lean and one by one, sink almost to the ground. I realize the equally long, rather thin Flocks had grown dependant on those weeds to hold them secure as the wind battered them back and forth.

This left me thinking about how easy it is to lean on something, anything. This can be positive or sometimes it can limit development of strong character, personality or faith. I began to think how this applies to my writing. How often to I lean on excuses, procrastination or weak reasons not to write, not to make that contact or not to think about that outline. Sometimes, the jolt for me is when that false thinking simply doesn’t hold me up and I have to face the winds of deadlines or the panic of unfinished work alone.

Everyday illustrations can be honest teachers. Oh, to be like my Humming Bird Plant that can stand against the strongest wind. But, considering the Flocks struggling to find it's legs, I compare this to the actions and attiudes in my life that help me stand tall such as daily devotions, writing a blog, doing my morning pages and chatting on Messenger with my grandgirls. And yes, hubby and I still garden together and manage to care for God’s Green Acres here in this place.




3 comments:

Peter Black said...

Well done, Donna.
Your illustrative account suggests a variety of interesting life applications.
Sounds as though you and your hubby live in a beautiful spot.
Thank you,
Peter.

Glynis said...

Donna, you are a blessed wife to allow your hubby into the garden with a weed whacker! This reminds me of the time when Gilles and I were first married. In our first little house I returned home from school to discover that he had totally cut down the rambling rose that was making it's way up the side of the house. It was a little gangly but it was obviously trying to bloom where it stood. Imagine my surprise when the following year the same rose that Gilles had pruned mercilessly grew and was exquisite! That humble pie tasted rather sour that day!
Thanks for the life lessons Donna and the challenge. I am off to write - something. No more leaning on excuses! Blessings. x

Nikki (Sarah) said...

beautifully and powerfully written. Nikki

Popular Posts