Wednesday, January 27, 2010

After you write THE END - Hall


Right now I am in the tail-end of a very grueling novel deadline. We had sickness and other challenges to deal with over the month of December. This particular book has really taken a lot out of me, and to tell you the truth I had no idea what I was going to write about this morning here. My mind feels blank, my back is complaining, and I’ve had enough cups of coffee to feed a small army -- or a pot luck supper of Christians.


But ,with my wonderful husband at my side - who is my first editor and re-writer, we’ll get through this.


I’m seeing light at the end of the tunnel and thinking about celebrating. Some friends and I were talking about what we do when we write THE END,


Suggestions ranged from a new book, a long bubble bath with a romance novel, a new CD, a nice bottle of Chardonnay shared with ones spouse, a long walk, a long run, a bicycle ride, a walk through the art museum for inspiration for one’s next project, a dinner out with one’s spouse, a day at the park with one’s children (or grandchildren), and a new item of clothing.


In my tired state here’s what I want to do: 1. Spend the first day lying on the couch watching spacey TV like The View or Opera. 2. Spend the second day cleaning my desk, 3. Spend the third day cleaning my office. 4. Go for a long walk listening to all the podcasts on my iPod that I haven’t been able to for the last week, and finally I am going to browse through iTunes and treat myself to some new music.


What do you typically like to do when you write THE END after the final sentence of a book, or a manuscript, poem or a song?

2 comments:

Peter Black said...

Linda, you sound totally exhausted - you poor thing!
Perhaps,on the one hand, it's because I'm a male, and on the other because I'm not a novelist and haven't had to write "The End," that I smile at some of the suggestions about what you might do now. :) Hey, but it's whatever works for you.
Now, finally, here's my point (I've used variations of it many times at the end of power point sermons):
"And with God The End is but the Beginning!"
For you, Linda, the beginning of ...?

Linda Hall said...

Oh thank you, Peter! I really am tired, but actually much better yesterday and today. I'm sure prayers are helping me get through - and the book is 'almost' finished. And you are right. THE END is only the beginning. Have a lovely weekend.

Popular Posts