Thursday, June 21, 2012

Any Loose Ends?

I went to the theatre
With the author of a successful play.
He insisted on explaining everything;
Told me what to watch;
 details of directions,
The errors of the property man,
The foibles of the star.
He anticipated all my surprises
And ruined the evening.
Never again! And mark you,
The greatest author of all
Made no such mistake.
Christoper Morley, No Coaching; (Still Waters, Deep Water Devotional: 1989)
Sometimes it would be easier for me if everything was laid out before me, defined and interpreted, explained and revealed. I wouldn’t have to think, just accept what is said and press onward. It would certainly save me a lot of time and keep me in good stance with other like-minded people. In the case above, I could leave the theatre having learned enough of what to avoid the next time, especially if I hadn’t read the author’s last lines.

Imagine getting a message everyday in my INBOX from the resident co-ordinator inviting me to upcoming activities with a promise that I’d get a list at the door of all the things that might hinder my enjoyment. I wonder if that email would jump-start my initiative to begin the day?

It is obvious the author was a bit miffed. He might have liked to be challenged, to explore, to question and to use the mind God gave him to fully assess the given situation. That didn’t happen.

I always find it interesting to read between the lines of authors’ work. In this case I wonder how this might read if the author of a successful play had encouraged his guest to enjoy, see the goodness in the event and take away with him the parts that strengthened him in his life.

In writing blogs there is usually an event that starts the process for me. I recently visited a friend who spends most of her time in a wheelchair. She invited me to walk down to her garden, built on rather a steep hill with several curves. She was unable to work in it anymore, but enjoyed other people’s impressions. As I pushed the sliding door open, she said, “Don’t expect too much from the roses; the heat got them. And by the way, the Ivy has got away on me; don’t let it spoil your view.”

When I returned I told her about the red peonies and white clematis and, oh yes, the spectacular fish pond. “You went that way?” she asked, and then added, “Oh, yes, I’ve always loved that path. I’m so glad you had a pleasant walk.”

Blessings
Donna Mann
http://www.donnamann.org/


3 comments:

Peter Black said...

An interesting introductory poetic story, Donna. And thanks for sharing your insightful application of it in your own anecdote (it provides a point of wisdom for me).

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting how we point out the negatives and not let people take from a place what they see?
Thanks, Donna.

Donna said...

Thanks for your comments. I hope you both find a new interesting path this week with pleasant surprises.

Popular Posts