Monday, June 10, 2013

Near to God's Heart by Rose McCormick Brandon

Last Sunday morning I awoke in the hospital. I'd had surgery a few days earlier and my mind was foggy from medication that didn't mask the pain. I managed to get myself ready for my going-home day then I eased my wounded body into a chair.

I'd been weepy for a couple of days. Life-changes, good or bad, often render me teary - not sure why - I accept this as part of my make-up and no longer try to fight against it.

Truth - I enjoy a good cry. It cleanses my soul and forces me in weakness to draw closer to my heavenly Father. As I sat in the chair, the sun, which hadn't been seen for days, shone through the window beside me.

Then, a hymn rose in my heart -
There is a place of quiet rest, near to the heart of God
A place where sin can not molest, near to the heart of God
O Jesus blessed Redeemer sent from the heart of God
Hold us who wait before You, near to the heart of God.

I hummed along, sensing harmony with the ball of fire lighting up the room. The same hands that formed the sun holds my life. As a mother snuggles a baby close to her breast, our marvellous God draws us to a place close to his heart.

Do you feel weak? Far from God? Let the words of this old hymn remind you that you too have a place where you are nestled in His arms, close to His heart. This special place is always available no matter how old, or how weak you become or how far away you may  sometimes feel from Him.
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. James 4:8
Rest your whole being in Jesus today.
(My book, One Good Word Makes all the Difference is available here.)

3 comments:

Peter Black said...

Rose, I pray that your recovery continues steadily to full health and strength. "There is a place of quiet rest" is a beloved favourite of mine, and the spiritual truth behind the song is a constant theme. Thank you for sharing.
~~+~~

Diana said...

I too pray for speedy and complete recovery for you, Rose. I love the scripture in James, and others like it that remind me that, no matter where or in what state I find myself, God is always there, even if I find my bed in hell (Psalm 139:8) And if I glance over in my Bible it happens to say, "Though I walk in the midst of trouble you (God) preserve my life." (Psalm 138:7)

Unknown said...

thanks Peter and Diana for your prayers for a speedy recovery -
Rose

Popular Posts