Monday, September 29, 2014

God Rest His Soul/MANN



“God rest his soul.” How many times have you heard that statement?  Is it any wonder in this fast paced world that the soul might be in need of peace of mind? The will, intellect and emotions can get us into trouble or settle us. The Spirit on the other hand can hold its own with consistent experience in God’s presence.
Our body is an accurate spiritual barometer that clearly indicates what is happening to us and around us. It seems to have a life of its own as it reacts or responds to where the soul has taken us.  It finds ways to speak to us, “Don’t forget about me. Hear my needs, care for me, help me.” When our bodies react in pain, tension, fatigue and stress, perhaps we should say, “What are you trying to tell me, friend? What’s your problem?”
As I look across the faces of different groups for whom I speak, I wonder if their body language is indicative of attitude. Does our body language indicate our emotions? For example someone whose shoulders are drawn backward would give the impression of resistance. Or if someone walks with a slouch, is it possible she is carrying a heavy load emotionally.
When a person who suffers chronic migraines says, “I was so angry; I wanted to blow my top” we listen.  If someone forces another into something he might not want to do, you might hear, “You twisted my arm.” If someone is feeling overwhelmed by work or relational expectations, would she say, “I’m over my head, or knee deep in trouble, or a tremendous weight on my shoulders or load off my mind.” When someone says, “I’m burned out” has his soul taken him to the extent his body can no longer reply? We see truth is in these statements, and realize the will, intellect and emotions (soul) drive physical reactions through the body?
In the church, we talk about reconciliation.  Jesus Christ reconciles us to God, to one another, to the world and very importantly to ourselves. That means all parts of self. When our body breaks down, it is not failing us. On the contrary, it is crying out for help and may very well be struggling with conflicts and grief and decisions and carry burdens that we have not yet been able to handle through our soul (will, emotions, intellect).
I am always thankful for my years served in The Order of St. Luke. And who would be in sync of the body more than Dr. Luke. We are a trinity: body, soul and spirit. If we listen carefully to our body,  we might find a new path to the soul.  Paul confirms this in the passage: “I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ (1 Thessalonians 5:23).
Blessings,
Donna
http://donnamann.org 


Check out the Y.A. and up: Agnes Macphail series/Brucedale Press
A Rare Find/Castle Quay Books Canada
Lot's of changes happening with Meadowlane Kid's Book: NOW Little Red Barn

2 comments:

Peter Black said...

Thank you for sharing your insightful thoughts and spiritual truths, Donna.
Great benedictory Scripture to wrap up, too! ~~+~~

Donna Mann said...

Thanks Peter - never an easy topic from which to make any sense. Yet, I continue to wrestle with it in my own life.

Popular Posts