Monday, January 18, 2016

My Double Rainbow Revelation-by Heidi McLaughlin


            In January of each year I walk, pray and wait for God to give me two words or a phrase that will be my “teachable moments” and spotlight for the coming year.  January 2005 was the year I received a phrase that jolted my life.

            That year it was already the middle of January and I still had not received any direction and I knew it was time for another long walk. On a cold and dark evening I bundled up and walked through the vineyards and then up and down the hills of our beautiful neighbourhood.  Each time I put one foot in front of the other, I repeated this prayer: “God, do you have two words or something that will give me focus for the coming year?” I walked, waited and listened.  Halfway through my cold and dark adventure, a phrase came to me that was as clear as a banner across my forehead. “Reflect my Glory!”

            It almost took my breath away. Glory! That is a huge and mysterious phrase. God You are so Holy, Glorious and Majestic, what does that mean? How do I reflect your Glory?
            Those three words became even more ominous as I researched the word “Glory” and found it encompassed every single area of my life.
·      Everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for glory, whom I formed and made…” (Isa. 43:7 NIV).
             EVERYONE
·      “So whatever you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Cor. 10:31 NIV).
            EVERYTHING

            After two months of studying this phrase and still not fully grasping the whole concept, I became as brave as Moses at the burning bush and said: “God, will you show me what it means to reflect Your Glory?”

            Weeks and months passed but I never gave up hope. One day in June of that year my husband Jack and I decided to go for a long walk. Even though it had been raining all morning we bravely ventured out with our umbrellas.  On this splendid spring morning the summer flowers and foliage had been washed by rain and were bursting with fresh brilliant colors. The grapes on the vines were just beginning to take shape. God was really showing off that day.

            Close to the end of our walk the sun broke through the clouds and we saw the most magnificent rainbow. If that wasn’t enough, what I saw next literally took my breath away, The most glorious second rainbow. But for the first time in my life I realized that the second rainbow was a REFLECTION of the first. It took my breath away because I knew this was God’s way of showing me what it means to “reflect His Glory.”  It showed me this: That I am a reflection of His beauty, His promises and His love. I stood in awe wanting to fall on my knees and worship.

            For me it was a revelation that I wear His coat of beauty and love wherever I go and whatever I do. With everything I do and say. I always ask myself this question: “When I write, speak or am among other people. Did I leave God’s love and beauty?”

            The discipline of asking God for two words each year has been one of the simplest, yet one of my most powerful spiritual practices. This year God gave me: Rejoice and Glorify.  I wonder what He will teach me this year.
Heidi McLaughlin lives in the beautiful vineyards of the Okanagan Valley in Kelowna, British Columbia. She is married to Pastor Jack and they have a wonderful, eclectic blended family of 5 children and 9 grandchildren. When Heidi is not working, she loves to curl up with a great book, or golf and laugh with her husband and special friends. You can reach her at: www.heartconnection.ca




3 comments:

Glynis said...

What a perfect way to affirm God is 'in it' - "Did I leave God's love and beauty?' I love this. And from what I know and see of you, my friend, Heidi, you ARE a reflection of Christ to so many ('specially moi!) Great post.

Peter Black said...

Love it! Your persistent pursuit of a specific focus from the Lord, certainly didn't go unrewarded. Heart warming and inspiring. Thanks Heidi. ~~+~~

Emy Watson said...

What are some good Christian fiction authors?
Christian writers

Popular Posts