Friday, May 27, 2016

Grow Up! Tracy Krauss

1 Corinthians 13:11  “When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.”
Our prompt this month encouraged us to write about growth. I can think of many ways I have grown in my both my writing life and my spiritual life.
Just as pruning encourages new growth, criticism and even rejection can teach one how to be a better writer. I've endured my share of such 'training', and even now I look back at some of my early published work and wish I could re-do many things that now jump out at me. Actually, I hope to do just that. I plan to eventually re-publish my entire backlist once the rights for each piece have been reverted back to me. Beyond my growth as a writer, I am amazed by how far I've come on the tech side of things. After my first book came out in 2009, the learning curve was steep in terms of marketing, promotion, learning about social media and so forth. I know I am still growing and learning every day, so I try to keep an open mind when it comes to these things.
I've also learned a thing or two in my time as a Christian. I accepted the Lord way back in March of 1982. There have been mountain top experiences, many long plateaus, and even a few dips. Overall, I can chart the progress, however, and can say with confidence that I am a more mature Christian now than I was back then. 
My husband and I have been in ministry on and off for many of these years. We are currently just finishing up as interim pastors of our church, which has been without a regular pastor for almost two years. It has been another learning experience since each congregation has its own unique strengths and weaknesses.  One thing that has struck me this time around is how the length of time as a Christian doesn't necessarily equal spiritual maturity. Unfortunately there are a few folks who are disgruntled about one thing or another and they don't mind sharing it! The lack of maturity is astounding at times, especially when it comes to issues that are of no eternal value...
But enough of that. Like the scripture says at the top, there comes a time when we must put away childishness as it pertains to immaturity, and act like adults. This doesn't mean we should stop being childlike when it comes to the wonder of God and the enjoyment of the life he has given us. In that case, we are to become like little children. 
I expect that I will look back a month, a year, a decade from now and see growth in both my spiritual life and my writing life. As my dear friend Jacqueline used to say, "Age is only a number." She lived up to this motto on a daily basis. Jacqueline was one of those people that 'sparkled'. She was full of vivacious energy, was fun-loving and energetic, had a positive outlook on life, and loved Jesus with all her heart. (And she never lost her sense of style! No frumpy old lady clothes for her!) Thankfully, when cancer struck at 87, she went quickly with dignity and grace. 
It's true. Age IS only a number. It has nothing to do with one's maturity or growth as a human being. There are many baby adults out there and a few very wise young ones, too. May we all aspire to be in the 'wise' camp, realizing that each one of us still has a lot of growing to do. 

3 comments:

Peter Black said...

So true, Tracy - advanced age and mature years don't automatically equal growth and maturity of person and character and spirituality; they are not the same. I thoroughly agree with your drawing the distinction between childishness and childlikeness; it's a simple yet necessary point I've shared many times over the years (while still recognising my ongoing personal need of childlike trust and continuing growth). ~~+~~

Tracy Krauss said...

Thanks for your feedback Peter. God bless

Glynis said...

Good on you, Tracy! That is what our entire life is all about, isn't it? Our Christian life is no different than marriage. We sure cannot just say 'I do' 'I did' 'I'm done'! Marriage is work and a lot of the time it is daily work. And so is our Christian walk with the Lord. We don't just give our heart to the Lord and we 'arrive'. Growth is determined in our heart.

Popular Posts