Saturday, November 26, 2016

Silent Night by Glynis M Belec

(This was originally published in my Reflections column in 
The Drayton Community News, November 25th, 2016; slightly edited) 

One of the best parts about the Christmas Eve service at our church is the lighting of the candles and singing Silent Night at the close. It’s a beautiful simple song that reminds me exactly what Christmas is about.
Ya’ll probably won’t want me to sing it to you any time soon lest I get mistaken for the braying donkeys, but oh, those lovely lyrics are worth pondering.
Silent night, holy night!  All is calm, all is bright.

Busyness and bustling distracts us from the true holiness of the season. Help me God to remember why we celebrate. I secretly wonder why people who don’t believe in Christ, make such a noise. And then some try their best to steal Christ from Christmas. Let my heart be calm, even so and let my eyes, as they consider You, be bright, Lord.

Round yon Virgin, Mother and Child. Holy infant so tender and mild,

The proof is in the pudding. Or should I say in the Scripture – Luke 1:30-31: But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. And Luke 1:34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”
Jesus, you kept your tenderness and mildness because I feel it in my life sometimes, especially when the world renders me weak. Thank you, Holy Infant child grown up.

Sleep in heavenly peace, sleep in heavenly peace

Why does the world battle You with such hatred? All they need do is seek Your face and the peace that passeth all understanding will follow. When you were a Babe, did you sleep in heavenly peace, really? Or was Your heart unsettled for Your soul knew Your destiny?

Silent night, holy night! Shepherds quake at the sight.

I think if I saw a host of angels in my face I might quake a little. But then I would hope I’d discover that the silent, holy night was not about me being fearful but about You being holy and perfect and born.

Glories stream from heaven afar. Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia,

I love that God was the first to introduce live streaming with all those glories, on that wonderful eve! I’m joining in with the heavenly hosts on this one (just turn down my microphone a little).

Christ the Savior is born! Christ the Savior is born

Triple amen on that one. I love when people say they believe Christ was a great prophet and a wise man. But they just cannot believe He is the Son of God. Then I laugh a little because in the next breath I discover they believe in some Divine power – um…what’s the hold-up with believing that Divine Power is Jesus, born in the flesh? I’m thinking it must do with facing up to a sinful nature, maybe.

Silent night, holy night! Son of God love's pure light.

God is love. It says that over and over in the Bible. A son carries on the traits of a father. Thank you, Jesus, for bringing God’s love to earth. I’m so glad we have a special, designated day to focus on the Light - the real Reason for the celebration. You’re the best, God.


Radiant beams from Thy holy face with the dawn of redeeming grace,

Redeeming Grace. That’s a mouthful. And a heartful. I don’t deserve one iota of Your Redeeming Grace, Lord. But You really have saved a wretch like me. You tell me it’s not where I’ve been, it’s where I am going that matters. When I keep looking behind me, like I am wont to do, I miss the radiant beams of Your beautiful, Holy Face. I will keep trying. Promise.

Jesus Lord, at Thy birth. Jesus Lord, at Thy birth.

You were born. You were Lord when you were born. You were the most amazing Gift that ever could be and You came here to die when you were born. How can I express anything else this Silent Night?  Thank you, Jesus, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.


Christmas is fast approaching, although I do not put up decorations or do too much prior to December, I won’t have the opportunity to send my greetings to you this way so for now let me wish you all a very Merry Christmas, friends. May you and your families enjoy a truly Silent Night this Christmas.


###




Glynis lives, loves, laughs and does an awful lot of reading, writing, publishing and praying in her home office. 
Her latest children's book, JESUS LOVES ME WHEN I DANCE, celebrates and shows us that with Jesus Love, we'll never lose! 
             www.glynisbelec.com 






No comments:

Popular Posts