Friday, September 22, 2017

I Finally Got it Right! by Carol Ford



During my full-time work in a corporate training and development role, I was asked each year to help the sales staff have a ‘learning’ opportunity at their off-site—usually located in a lovely setting. They were a hard bunch to please and, although I delivered a variety of learning activities over the years, it was the last one, prior to my retirement, that finally exceeded their expectations. This event was probably one of my most creative endeavours in a work setting.

The sales management wanted an opportunity for their salesmen, who are away from home and office at least fifty percent of the year, to know more about their employee benefits. My mind started to go crazy with a concept similar to a trade show. I arranged for exhibits for education, travel, medical, health and safety, pensions etc. We set up like a party with music, helium balloons, prizes, popcorn machine, a basketball game, and shoulder and neck messages. They only had approximately one hour in their busy schedule at the off-site to tour the event, but the feedback was amazing.

I’ve been thinking about this event, and other opportunities I have had to be creative over the years, because I’m preparing for a short talk on the topic of Creativity. As a writer, I often hear myself saying, “What's the use?” Because I feel that I have nothing original to say or I’m not nearly as proficient at wordsmithing as others. But I do need to remind myself that God is my partner in all that I do. He has given me a talent of idea generating (too much at times) and I want to use this to mentor and encourage others who often feel like they have reached a dead end.


Have you been able to identify the talent(s) that God has given you and celebrate a success that you have achieved with His help? 

“Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, ......You are serving the Lord Christ.” Colossians 3:23-24

https://carolfordassociates.wordpress.com/ 

I'm privileged to be one of the authors in this new publication - My Forever Home 1948



4 comments:

Peter Black said...

Thank you, Carol. It seems that you likely had to go to great lengths and invest a great amount of time into preparing for that one hour, to fulfil your creative plan. But you can smile, for it evidently paid off!
Regarding your challenge to us: One early creative challenge for me goes back more that forty years. I had to come up with an hour-long Easter program that would involve 350 kids ranging from preschoolers to young adults at some point or other in depicting Palm Sunday, Holy Week, Crucifixion and Resurrection events.
It happened ... and now I can hardly believe that it did! In retrospect, by today's standards of production it would be viewed as hokey (ehm, whatever that means). However, the moms and dads and grandparents who turned out in the hundreds to see their youngsters play their part onstage didn't seem to mind. ~~+~~

Carol Ford said...

Hi, Peter
It sounds like you created the whole palm Sunday crowd for that production. I would have liked that. You reminded me of a junior church project that I was teaching about Moses and the 40 years in the desert. When it came to the Sunday for the Israelites to cross over into the promised land, we had them march throughout the main sanctuary and eventually crosse the hall to the gym, build alter there too. I guess you and I must be experiential learners.

Glynis said...

Fabulous. You are such an organizer, Carol, and what a grand finale to your career. I experience that same 'what's the use' some days, too. But, yes. You are correct. If God has given us a gift/talent, we need to listen to Him for it's His timing that is impeccable, not ours!

And Peter just made me laugh - although organizing 350 kiddos is no laughing matter. I was a drama leader for years - children and adults, and I know the work that goes into a production. And I never had 350 kids all at once to direct! Yikes.

Love the scripture...whatever you do...

David Kitz said...

Keep those creative juices flowing, Carol. Creativity is the work of God.

Popular Posts