Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Beyond the Barriers by Eleanor Shepherd

           
Today is known in many parts of the church as All Saints Day. It is a celebration of the unique link between the followers of Christ who are living on earth and those of His followers who are already in His presence. For me this year, this event seems to have a particular significance for at least three reasons. 

            The first reason is that this year I turned seventy and I was reminded of the words in the Bible from Psalm 90 that the translator expressed well in the Contemporary English version, “We can expect seventy years, or maybe eighty, if we are healthy, but even our best years bring trouble and sorrow. Suddenly our time is up, and we disappear. (Psalm 90:10)
           

            Now I do not have any immediate plans to disappear, but I do realize that when we reach this age, we would be wise to look at each day as a special gift and treasure each one with all that it holds for us. More frequently these days my thoughts turn to those whom I have known and loved and who are no longer with us. They are the departed saints.

            Among these would be my father and I have been thinking of him often lately, because this week, if he were still with us on earth, he would be celebrating his centenary. He would now be 100 years old. However, he left us six years ago to join my mother in their eternal home and as King David of Israel said so many years ago about his son who predeceaased him. “I will go to him. He will not return to us.”

            I have every reason to believe that my father and mother are in a beautiful place of joy and peace and neverending love and satisfaction. I would not wish them back with us as what I have learned from the Scriptures assures me that they are more fully alive than ever.  The realization that my father celebrates his centenary in the presence of Jesus and among all of the followers of Jesus who are now with him, makes this celebration of All Saints Day a little more real for me. 


           
               Then during this past week, I attended the funeral of a friend whom I have watched for the past three years live out with incredible patient endurance the creeping loss of function as a result of ALS. She was someone who intensely enjoyed the fellowship of her church family and had the most welcoming smiles and hugs for those who gathered. At the time of her funeral there were many people who said to me that they were part of the fellowship because of the kindness and warmth that was shown to them by this follower of Jesus. It was strange that one of her first losses was that of the ability to speak, yet she continued through all the months of her illness to reach out to others in friendliness, greeting them at the door of the church with her beaming smile and when asked how she was doing would give them the thumbs up.


           
             My friend, Marilynn and I had many occasions to serve in various positions in the church together, but one incident that is forever engraved on my memory, was the day when we were working together and I was overcome by some of the personal and professional challenges that I was facing. I felt so overwhelmed and I went into her office and said, “Could you please give me a hug?” I knew that was what I needed and I knew that she would oblige without hesitation. It was a moment that for me personified what the communion of saints on earth is all about. We care for one another. With her passing, I know that I will not be able to ask her for another hug when I need one, but one day we will again be together in a place where we will gladly give to one another whatever we need, and we will not even need to ask. 

Word Guild Award
2009

Word Guild Award
2011





                                                                                       
                                                                                                       Latest Published
                                                                                                 Story

3 comments:

Peter Black said...

Congratulations on your attaining the big 'Threescore-years-and-ten,' Eleanor! It's a significant milestone, for sure. Thank you for sharing this touching testimonial to your friend. May you continue to receive comfort in the assurance of our faith and in the hope, love, and joy of our Lord.~~+~~

Glynis said...

There is just something about getting older that seems to sharpen our spiritual awareness - or lack-thereof, I believe. I love the respectful way you honour your friends and relatives, Eleanor and how you press us to realize the preciousness of being ready. I have been thinking a lot of my mum lately and some days I long for her hug.
We, too, lost a friend to ALS last year. My husband's dear friend and accountability partner. We will always remember him for his strong faith and determination to tell others about Jesus and then, when he, too, lost his speech, to show others Jesus - just as Marilyn did for you.
P.S. 70 looks good on you! Congrats! I'm on my way ...

Yvonne said...

Wonderfully written! It makes me wish that I had exchanged a hug with you in the elevator that final day when we brought your boxes down. Not to say that your ministry among us has ended nor that we need to say goodbye by no means! It's just that it was a pivotal moment for us and sometimes my pride keeps me from doing what my heart wants to do! I pray that we may connect in that special way someday soon! I miss your teachings. Much love! Yvonne

Popular Posts