Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Thankfulness Checklist by Steph Beth Nickel



We've been encouraged in recent years to keep a gratitude journal. Ann Voskamp encourages readers to make a list of 1,000 things they're thankful for. (Not to worry; this list will be much shorter than that.)

As writers, our list will include items most others wouldn't even think to add. Below are five of the things I'm thankful for and examples of each.

Total Strangers

When someone you've never met connects with you and tells you they appreciate your programs on HopeStreamRadio, it's humbling and encouraging.

Total strangers don't stay strangers long when you connect over a common pursuit such as writing. I met Ron Hughes at Write Canada a number of years ago. So when he called to see if I knew anyone who would be interested in joining the HopeStreamRadio team, I was eager to get on board.

Online Communities

Yes, there are downsides to the Internet. We can spend hours commenting on status updates, tweeting, and pinning that would be better spent writing, reading, or doing housework. We can dive down one rabbit hole after the next after the next.

On the other hand, we can connect with amazing people we're never likely to meet in person who will encourage, challenge, and enlighten us. Such is the case with communities such as the Create If Writing group on Facebook. I've linked to the public group, but there are several advantages to joining the paid community as well. 

And I have to tell you the online communities that I've connected with are made up of some of the most generous people you'll ever meet.

Podcasts

I could list podcast after podcast after podcast where I like to hang out. While I enjoy reading, I've found that a familiar voice soon becomes a trusted voice, especially when the information they're sharing is practical and up-to-date.

Among the podcasts I follow are Kirsten Oliphant's Create If Writing, Joanna Penn's The Creative Penn, and Tara Hunt's Truly Social.

Challenges

I have joined the thousands of other writers who are participating in National Novel Writing Month or NaNoWriMo. I'm on track to hit the 25K mark today. The challenge, if you're not familiar with it, is to write 50K words in the month of November. Obviously, the idea is to write the first draft of a novel. However, there are those who use the energy and camaraderie to write short stories, academic papers, etc. I love it and am learning a lot. As was said, there are no NaNo police.

Lifetime Access

If any of you have attended a free online summit, you'll know the allure of purchasing lifetime access. You can listen to the interviews whenever you want to, whenever you have the time. You have the luxury of going back and listening over and over to those you found particularly helpful.

I have purchased lifetime access to many summits and have signed up for the paid courses after watching brief series of free lessons on writing and writing-related topics.

These are all well and good, but I have to go back and start digging into the wealth of material I have access to. It does me know good tucked away in cyber space.

What's on your Thankfulness Checklist? 

2 comments:

Peter Black said...

Steph, yet another of your interesting writer-oriented lists - each one offering helpful hints for those who take the time to utilize them. Thank you. Thankfulness lists are good for anyone. I'm grateful for our TWG writers' generous sharing out of their experience and demonstrating an inclusive spirit. ~~+~~

Glynis said...

Some great reasons to be thankful and some great resources for writers. Now I am grateful to you for sharing some of your links and ideas with us! You are a pal, Steph! Nicely written.

Popular Posts